A dynamic melting pot of cultures and cuisines, colours and charm, it is little wonder why Thailand is a famous tourist destination year-round. From incredible beaches and island escapes to rich history and culture, tantalizing local street food to indulgent fine dining experiences and everything in between, keep reading for refreshing ideas on how you can “travel the world” in Thailand without leaving its expansive and fascinating borders.
For satiating your inner foodie
Thailand offers a dizzying mix of unique dining experiences by local and international chefs as well as the most authentic Thai street food, making it possible to take your taste buds on a gastronomic journey without actually leaving the country. Here are some inspirations for you:
- Go on a culinary adventure and immerse in the world famous vibrant street food culture in Bangkok – home to an estimated 500,000 street vendors with a large majority offering a taste of age-old cooking traditions that is truly unique.
- For a refreshing and insightful vineyard experience, venture out to Hua Hin Hills where you can savor the award-winning ‘new latitude wines’ by home-grown label Monsoon Valley. Nestled among mountain ranges yet close to the sea, the sprawling greenery and constant fresh breeze from the hills here make for a relaxing day out.
- See Pattaya from a different perspective, literally. Akin to the vibrant rooftop dining experiences in Los Angeles, Singapore and the likes, admire panoramic views of Pattaya Bay and the city against breathtaking sunsets over an exquisite meal and cocktails.
For feeling far away without going too far
A country steeped in rich history and culture, and deep-rooted in religious traditions, you don’t have to go far afield to stimulate the curiosity that travel provokes. Here are some of our favourite picks for an intriguing getaway without getting away:
- Escape the city bustle for a day to revel in the awe-inspiring ancient ruins and temples of Ayutthaya, just about an hour drive away from Bangkok. Learn a little about the city’s turbulent history and past glory in advance for a much more meaningful experience, or simply enjoy the laid-back vibe with a visit to the floating market (a locals’ favourite!) and an intriguing traditional water theatre.
- Much like Amsterdam and Venice, part of Bangkok is fully covered in water canals used as streets or Klongs, local houses built on the water. Explore a jungle oasis in the heart of Bangkok on a traditional wooden long-tail boat and uncover the fascinating historic temples and slow-paced life of the riverside communities.
For a sense of adventure and adrenaline
Whether you are a thrill-seeker, nature lover or beach bum, satisfy your appetite for adventure outdoors with these ideas:
- If you are coveting out-of-this-world zipline experiences in Nepal, Puerto Rico or China, gear up and explore the lush forests and mesmerizing scenery on a fascinating treetop adventure in Phuket.
- Missing the glorious coastlines and exhilarating water sports in Bali? Look no further than Koh Samui for your paradise getaway, where you can mellow out on stunning powdery white sand beaches or go all out with adrenaline-pumping activities around crystal clear waters.
- Channel your Indiana Jones at the magnificent, mystical and hard to reach Phraya Nakhon Cave near Hua Hin that rewards dedicated hikers with a spectacular vision of the historic royal throne pavilion well hidden within the cave.
Feel free to explore our amazing hotels in Thailand for more inspiration.